All the Advantages of a CCRC
If you’ve been searching the terms “senior living community near me” or “independent living near me” then either you or a loved one is considering a move. Most people agree that moving residences is a bit of a challenge. All the packing, unpacking, and coordinating of the move can eat up a lot of time and energy. And when you finally finish moving, you try not to put yourself in a situation where you need to move again for a very long time.
According to the U.S Census Bureau, the average person will move at least eleven times over the course of their life. That means if you’re 55 or older, you can expect to move at least one or two more times if the law of averages holds up. Eventually, you’ll want to find that final place to spend the remainder of your retirement, which means a retirement home or an assisted living community will be up for consideration. The McCrite family believes that the rest of your life should be the best of your life. Living in a vibrant retirement community provides an environment where seniors can flourish and continue to lead active lives.
In the case of seniors who have ongoing healthcare needs, changing residences is just what the doctor ordered. At a certain age, your needs will be more than just space, amenities, and things to do in the local area to stay engaged and active. Getting healthcare that is both affordable and readily available will become a big priority, which is why continuing care retirement communities (CCRC) are a perfect choice for seniors.
So, what exactly is a continuing care retirement community? And what can you expect as far as healthcare goes? Let’s break this down.
Continuing Care Retirement Community
A continuing care retirement community is a place where residents have access to a wide array of healthcare services. There are a couple huge benefits for this type of living situation. First, it means you’ll have multiple levels of healthcare readily available to you on-site. That is going to cut down on going to the doctor’s office or scheduling in-home healthcare with a third party to get the care you need. CCRCs make healthcare easy and convenient.
The other big benefit is that by moving to a continuing care retirement community sooner rather than later, you avoid the issue of having to move residences when your healthcare needs become more demanding or change. CCRCs are specifically designed to cater to those who have minor, moderate, and critical health issues. The levels of care offered break down as follows.
- Independent Living: Independent living is ideal for those that have no healthcare challenges and want to relinquish all the responsibilities that come with home ownership. At McCrite Plaza, this means no more chores, landscaping, cooking, or housekeeping. You get to kick back, relax, and enjoy the company of your friends and neighbors with numerous activities such as watching movies, going on outdoor walks, playing cards, music, games, and plenty more.
- Home Care: Consider home care as the first level of administering healthcare as part of a community’s services. Home care is readily available on campus and can help you with setting up medications and reminders, coordinating healthcare with your physician, administering personal care services, running tests (such as blood pressure), diagnosing and evaluating symptoms, and giving injections, just to name a few. The best part is that a medical professional can perform all these services right in the comfort of your own home. That cuts down on travel time and sitting in waiting rooms at healthcare facilities.
- Assisted Living:: Physical challenges can make it difficult to perform simple everyday tasks such as getting dressed, bathing, and so forth. However, needing a helping hand is no reason for you to be held back from experiencing life to the fullest. With assisted care, your personal and medical needs are thoroughly assessed by healthcare professionals and staff. Based on those findings, an assisted care plan is tailor-made to address those specific challenges. It can be something as simple as buttoning a shirt or helping you manage your medications. No task is too big or small. In many cases, these services may be temporary, but the important thing is they are available at all times.
- Memory Care: Memory care facilities are crucial for those who are developing or are already struggling with short and/or long-term memory. For friends and family who aren’t trained in handling loved ones that have memory issues, it can be especially challenging to understand and cope with this sort of issue. However, memory care professionals have the training and the patience to treat and continually evaluate your loved one. Memory care also focuses on building confidence and self-esteem on the abilities a person has retained rather than focusing on what’s been lost. This helps residents live happier, more meaningful lives where they feel in control. Please note, memory care services are only available at the McCrite Plaza at Briarcliff location.
- Rehabilitation Services: Going through an illness, operation, or surgery is challenging at any age, but it’s especially challenging for seniors. The process of getting back home and into the normal swing of things is an uphill battle, which is why on-site rehabilitation services are the hallmark of any CCRC. After a patient has been discharged from the hospital, rehabilitation services will pick up where they left off. It’s catered to all types of medical conditions such as orthopedic surgery to cardiovascular conditions to stroke. No matter what you need or how long it takes, rehabilitation services aim to get you back on your feet so you can start enjoying life again.
- Long-term Care: Consider long-term care as the most comprehensive and advanced form of healthcare that can be offered in a continuing care retirement community. In the event that you are facing an ongoing illness or chronic condition, long-term care provides 24-hour nursing care that will handle your every need. That includes continual medical monitoring, assistance in ambulation, medication management, bathing, dressing, and all activities of daily living. Your comfort is of the utmost importance, so you’ll be in a comfortable, relaxing setting provided with music, TV, books, or any form of entertainment you want when you’re not resting. All food and medication will be brought to you, and a team of professionals will handle personal hygiene needs and all the housekeeping and laundry. Long-term care allows patients to focus on the thing that matters most – their health.
Book Your Tour of McCrite Plaza Today!
When the McCrite family was originally planning their retirement community, they wanted to develop a place where people could live their life to the fullest while also feeling secure that they have the resources to overcome any healthcare challenges that may arise. McCrite Plaza is more than a retirement home; it’s a continuing care retirement community where healthcare is a top priority. McCrite Plaza offers all the previously mentioned levels of care so that loved ones and their families can rest at ease knowing they’re in good hands.
The best way to see the McCrite’s CCRC in-person is by taking a personal guided tour. You can contact McCrite Plaza Topeka or McCrite Plaza at Briarcliff using the contact form. Feel free to schedule a tour at either location so we can show you how McCrite Plaza is leading that way in delivering convenient and affordable healthcare.
**Please note the care services offered will vary slightly by location.