As we age, our needs and lifestyles change, and making the right decisions about our living arrangements becomes crucial. Two popular options for seniors are independent living and assisted living communities, both offered at the McCrite Plaza locations in Kansas City and Topeka. Understanding the differences between these options is key to helping seniors thrive in a comfortable, supportive environment, and the staff at McCrite Plaza can help ensure you make the right decision for comfortable senior living. In our latest blog post, we’ll delve into the similarities and differences between senior independent living and assisted living so that you can make a well-informed decision for yourself or your loved ones.
Senior independent living communities are designed for seniors who are generally healthy, active, and able to live independently. They offer a range of housing options, including apartments, condos, or single-family homes, in a setting that caters to seniors’ specific needs and preferences. Residents enjoy a sense of community and various amenities and services that make life easier and more enjoyable.
Key Features of Senior Independent Living:
- Housing options: Our senior living communities offer a variety of floor plans, sizes, and styles to choose from.
- Maintenance-free living: Exterior and interior maintenance, lawn care, and snow removal are often included, allowing residents to focus on leisure and social activities.
- Amenities: On-site amenities including fitness centers, ponds, walking trails, putting greens, lounges, and organized social activities.
- Security: Security systems and 24-hour emergency response services provide residents and their families peace of mind.
- Age-restricted: Most communities require at least one resident to be 55+ years old.
- Transportation: Our communities often provide scheduled transportation for medical appointments, shopping, and events.
Assisted living communities are designed for seniors who require assistance with daily activities, such as bathing, dressing, medication management, and meal preparation. These communities provide personalized care tailored to each resident’s needs while promoting independence and dignity.
Key Features of Assisted Living:
- Personalized care: Caregivers and staff are available 24/7 to assist residents with daily tasks and support health needs.
- Dining services: Meals are provided in a communal dining area, allowing residents to socialize and maintain a healthy diet.
- Social and recreational activities: Our assisted living communities offer a variety of activities, including exercise classes, art workshops, and group outings.
- Health services: On-site medical services, such as medication management and regular health assessments, help ensure residents receive proper care.
Making the Right Choice
To determine the best fit for you or your loved ones, consider their current and future needs and their preferences for social interaction and lifestyle. The staff at McCrite Plaza can help evaluate, assess, and make recommendations based on a senior’s current health status and help residents and family members know what to expect as a senior’s health needs change.
Some factors to consider when choosing between independent living and assisted living include:
- Level of care: Evaluate the senior’s current and future health care needs and their ability to perform daily tasks.
- Budget: Compare the costs of both options, considering monthly fees, additional services, and any entrance fees.
- Location: Proximity to family, friends, and healthcare providers should be considered.
- Social environment: Determine which community setting aligns with your loved one’s interests, social preferences, and desired level of interaction with neighbors.
At McCrite Plaza in Topeka and Kansas City, we are dedicated to our resident’s health and well-being, focusing on the level of care each individual needs and adjusting as those needs change. From active senior independent living to transitioning to assisted living, McCrite Plaza puts our residents’ health and well-being first and foremost to create a vibrant, fulfilling, and engaging home that enables seniors to live their best lives.
Call us in Briarcliff-Kansas City at (816) 888-7930 or (785) 267-2960 in Topeka, or complete the contact form to schedule a tour and see everything available to make life exciting for your future!